52 creative messages for travel journals
Are you wondering what to write in a travel journal? Here are 52 travelogue prompts to inspire you!
I used to keep SUPER detailed travel journals, which are great to look back on, but time consuming to keep up with. I now make shorter bullet lists at the end of each day when I’m on the road, and I take notes on my phone throughout the day to capture my thoughts.
No matter how you decide to document your trip, you’ll be glad you did! It’s so much fun being able to look back on your memories and relive your memories.
Also, you never know who else will enjoy her travelogues one day… I used to love reading my grandmother’s travelogues decades later and I’m so glad I have them!
So here are 52 travel journal ideas to get your creativity flowing.
best travel journals
While you can use any notebook to keep a travel journal (or even use your phone!) there are so many great dedicated travel journals/planners out there that I love!
Here are two great options for travel planners who also have plenty of space for journaling:
This travel planner from Erin Condren It’s small and easily fits in your bag, but contains tons of pages for planning AND journaling! Document every aspect of your trip with this travel journal.
This spiral-bound journal and travel planner It’s another great option for both keeping your trip details organized and recording all your travel memories on the go.
If you’re just looking for a blank notebook to use as a travel journal, you can’t go wrong with a Moleskine classic notebook which is what I personally use for my trips!
And without further ado, here are all 52 travel journal prompts for you to use!
Pre-trip travel journal notices
Before your trip and even on the way to your destination, writing about these travel journal directions will allow you to document your anticipation for your adventure.
- What excites you the most?
- Is there something you are nervous or worried about?
- Why did you choose this particular destination?
- How much did you pack for this trip?
- What is the first thing you will do when you arrive?
- What’s on your trip itinerary?
- Have you had any disaster before the trip?
- What are some interesting facts about your destination?
- How do you feel on the way?
Journal messages while traveling
Capture your feelings and experiences while traveling forever with these journal prompts that will be answered during your trip. I recommend setting aside a small amount of time each morning or evening to write about your day while it’s still fresh in your mind!
- What were your first impressions of your destination?
- How did you feel when you first arrived?
- Was there something different from how you expected it to be?
- Make a list of what you did today.
- What has surprised you so far?
- What were the highlights of today?
- What about today’s lowlights?
- Is there something you are missing from home?
- What conversation did you hear today?
- How do you feel about where you are staying?
- What was the best thing you ate today?
- Did something go wrong today?
- Make a list of the smells, sounds, and sights you experience.
- What have you learned about your destiny?
- Did something funny happen today?
- What are you reading/listening to?
- What emotions are you currently feeling?
Post-trip travelogue messages
Reflect on your trip and share your memories with these post-trip journal ideas.
- Would you visit this destination again?
- What would you change if you could redo your trip?
- What are some lessons you learned from your journey?
- Did you have a travel disaster?
- What were the funniest moments of your trip?
- What was the best meal you ate on your trip?
- Did you bring home any souvenirs?
- What were your favorite things about fate?
- What are some things you wish you had packed?
- Did you feel disappointed by something?
- Make a list of the best and worst moments of your trip.
- What is one thing you wish you could have done but didn’t?
- What is one thing you did but wish you hadn’t done?
- How do you feel about being at home?
General indications of the travel diary
Even when you’re not traveling, you can always write about past trips or dream about future trips! Here are some general travel tips to get your creativity flowing.
- What’s on your travel wish list?
- What are your favorite travel memories?
- Make a list of the best and worst trips you’ve ever taken.
- Who are the most interesting people you have met while traveling?
- What is a time you got lost while traveling?
- If money was not a concern, where would you go?
- At what point did you get out of your comfort zone while traveling?
- What are the funniest travel moments you’ve ever had?
- What is the most beautiful place you have been?
- Is there somewhere you are not interested in traveling?
- What are the best meals you’ve had while traveling?
- What are the best and worst places you’ve stayed while traveling?
More ways to document your travels
These are the best travel journal prompts to inspire your creativity!
In addition to keeping a travel journal, you might also consider start a travel blog to document your travels. (You can even make money from travel blogging!)
I have a whole series on starting a travel blog, which you can browse below:
We hope that these travel diary indications have been useful to you. Happy travels! 🙂