David Beckham’s controversial £ 10m deal with Qatar may have ruined his chances for a knighthood

David Beckham’s controversial £ 10m deal with Qatar may have ruined his chances for a knighthood

  • The expensive contract means that Beckham will be the face of the World Cup in Qatar
  • He claims he can make a difference from within and use football ‘for good’
  • But the deal prevented him from becoming a “gentleman” – an honor he had long coveted

A new attempt to secure David Beckham knighthood has failed, writes The Mail on Sunday.

It is believed that the former England captain was formally nominated and included in the official recommendations for that part.

But despite removing tax obstacles that are believed to have prevented previous attempts to become a ‘gentleman’, he was again unsuccessful.

Sources last night suggested that his decision to sign a controversial £ 10m contract to be the face of this year’s World Cup in Qatar may have diminished his chances.

The deal, published by The Mail on Sunday in February last year, drew widespread criticism, given Qatar’s miserable state of civil liberties and gay rights.

Shameful emails from 2013 reveal that Beckham wrote: 'Unless it's chivalry, fuck off'

Shameful emails from 2013 reveal that Beckham wrote: ‘Unless it’s chivalry, fuck off’

Beckham attends the Doha Forum in Qatar ahead of the long-awaited World Cup

Beckham attends the Doha Forum in Qatar ahead of the long-awaited World Cup

The insider said that there were concerns that the Qatari agreement could oppose the committee of parts that is examining the nominations.

“David has done some extraordinary work, but the contract with Qatar was not necessarily reasonable to sign if he wanted to be Sir,” one source said. ‘It has awesome optics.

“He takes a lot of money to promote a country where women and homosexuals are slandered. With all the money and his huge contribution to charity, the Qatar issue is something that now stands out as a problem for him. ‘

Beckham insists his involvement in Qatar provides an opportunity to bring about change from within and ‘use football as a force for good’, but gay magazine Attitude accused the former Manchester United midfielder of hypocrisy after praising Jake Daniels of Blackpool for going out.

In an exhaustive Instagram post, Attitude – on whose cover the former footballer famously appeared in 2002 – wrote: ‘David Beckham continues to keep his money as much as possible from where his mouth is when it comes to the LGBTQ community.’

Beckham’s representatives turned to HM Revenue & Customs two years ago to settle their finances after he was caught in a tax evasion scheme.

Sources say that Beckham and his wife Victoria paid a “substantial sum” and, with a clean account of the financial situation with the tax administration, Beckham’s supporters were free to continue their offer to get him as a knight. The 47-year-old was awarded OBE in 2003, and Victoria received the same honor in 2017.

Five years ago, embarrassing emails revealed that Beckham in 2013 labeled the honor committee as ‘ungrateful **** s’ and rejected lower awards, writing: ‘Unless chivalry, fuck off.’ Beckham’s team says he has a long record of supporting charities, including Unicef, where he has been a goodwill ambassador for 18 years.

He raised £ 50 million for charity and also played a key role in winning the rights to the 2012 London Olympics.

Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.