Baby ‘almost suffocated’ after Stacey Solomon Primark ‘sucked’ on face

Little Kaleah, one, was eating from a Little Pickle bowl – part of the Stacey Solomon range in collaboration with Primark – when he got stuck on her face

Cheryl struggled to pull the bowl from her daughter's face
Cheryl struggled to pull the bowl from her daughter’s face

The mother claims that her baby almost ‘suffocated’ when the children’s Primark bowl of Stacey Solomon ‘sucked’ on her face.

Cheryl Drummond filled a bowl, from Loose Woman’s Little Pickle line, with chocolate and gave 17-month-old Kaleah a preoccupation with her last month.

A 28-year-old mother was postponing shopping in the kitchen when she heard a bang and ran back to the living room and found her daughter on her back struggling to remove the orange dish from her face.

As Kaleah grew more desperate and frantic, Cheryl struggled to separate the bowl from her daughter’s face.

She claimed it acted like a ‘piston’ because it was made of silicone and it got firmer with each breath.

The bowl stuck to the child’s face, her mother says


Kennedy News and Media)

Mom says that only thanks to her fake nails did she finally manage to break the seal and remove the object from her daughter’s face.

After she managed to remove it, Cheryl says her daughter was in tears with a red mark on her face and claims her toddler has since been ‘petrified’ from the bowl.

The mother of three is now urging Primark to launch an investigation into the product and change its size, as she believes its oval shape was too firm around Kaleah’s face.

Full-time mom Cheryl took the problem to Primarka, but was left angry when she saw that the retailer was still selling a bowl in the latest Stacey Solomon line.

Primark said the range was tested independently and met ‘EN standards for baby food’, however they confirmed they were investigating the incident.

Cheryl, of Glasgow, Lanarkshire, said: “I just got back from a big store. I gave Kaleah a bowl of chocolate while I put off shopping.

Little Kaleah is now afraid of the vessel


Kennedy News and Media)

Cheryl says her daughter almost suffocated


Kennedy News and Media)

“She was in the living room, I was in the kitchen. These are essentially the same room.

“I heard a bang and saw that she had fallen. She tried to lick the bottom of the bowl like all the children.

“She was sitting on the laminate floor. That’s one of the reasons I heard – she hit her head when she fell back trying to pull the bowl off her face, and then she kicked the floor.

“Her mouth and nose were in that bowl, there was no place for her to breathe.

“I couldn’t see her face, and she was in a panic. She was trying to cry, but her breath was getting harder every second when it was sucked into her face.

“The strut is made of silicone so it is like a piston. With each breath she created, the bowl grew firmer.

“Fortunately, I managed to pull my nails under the bowl and pull it off her face. He was so firmly attached that he left a big red mark around her face.

“The bowl was on her face for between 45 seconds and a minute. It doesn’t sound like long, but it feels that way at the moment.

“I had a bowl two months before this. There had never been a problem with her before.

“The worst case scenario in my mind was that she could have suffocated to death.

“I would usually put my Alex to play music while I put off shopping. But luckily that day I wasn’t so I could hear the noise. Someone was watching us from above that day.

“It took me until the next day before I could write a post about it Facebook. I had to gather my thoughts.

Cheryl wants the assortment off the shelves


Kennedy News and Media)

“We all know life is short, but my life could have been completely different.”

Cheryl returned to Primark on Argyle Street, Glasgow, to raise the issue with them.

She said: “I went to Primark the next day and talked to someone. At that point, they seemed very helpful to me and gave me an email for the main office.

“I sent an email and they said there would be investigations. But then I saw something new Stacey Solomon the assortment came out, and they were still selling the bowl.

“I complained once again in the store and the employee was not very helpful at first. She was pretty fast, insisting on a new assortment. It was the same vessel, but in a different color.

“She took my data and sent it to the main office. But they were not helpful or apologizing, they just turned around asking for my version of events and a photo of my plate.

“I explained that I didn’t know how to send pictures via email on my new phone. They haven’t called me since.”

Cheryl wants the vessel to be redesigned to avoid potential problems in the future.

Cheryl said, “The bowl is still the same size, which is my problem. It’s oval in shape so it’s the perfect size for her little face to come in.

“I also think that the fact that it was a silicone material meant that it was harder to take it off her face.

“Luckily, I had artificial nails that day and they helped me take the dish off. I don’t think I could take it off otherwise.

“Primark should pull the container and launch an investigation, they have to change the size of the container. If it was smaller or bigger, that wouldn’t be a problem.

“I would not want anyone to go through this and experience a different outcome than what we did.

“I will no longer buy anything for children from Primark, especially if there is a danger of suffocation.

“Clearly if anyone was worried, they would listen. But the bowls are still on the shelf.”

A spokeswoman for Primarka said: “We were very concerned to hear about the experience of these customers.

“Each range of Primark products has been tested independently to ensure that relevant safety standards are met, including one that meets EN standards for baby food.

“However, we take security complaints very seriously, we monitor each one and are in contact with the client to fully investigate them.”

Stacey Solomon was contacted for comment.

Read more

Read more

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.